Welcome >>> Codes >>> Conduct
ICI Conference and Meeting Code of Conduct
The Innovations Conference on Infrastructure (ICI) is committed to providing a professional environment at all of our events, welcoming people from as many diverse backgrounds as possible. We expect our events to be a respectful, harassment-free environment for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, age, socioeconomic status, and belief. The ICI values the diversity of views, expertise, opinions, backgrounds, and experiences reflected among all attendees.
In pursuit of those goals, speakers, staff, attendees, and volunteers at ICI events are expected to abide by the following code of conduct:
- Be kind and considerate – Respect personal space and common courtesy rules for personal interaction.
- Behave appropriately – Refrain from displaying any demeaning, harassing, aggressive, or intimidating materials or behavior.
- Be professional – Dress and behave in a professional manner.
- Respect property – Do not damage private or communal property.
- Follow the rules – Obey the rules and regulations of the venue.
- Report inappropriate behavior – Promptly report any behavior that makes you or others feel uncomfortable to the nearest ICI representative.
- Treat everyone with respect and consideration.
- Communicate openly and thoughtfully with others, and be considerate of the multitude of views and opinions that are different than your own.
- Be respectful in discussing and debating ideas.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Call 911 or alert hotel/venue security if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Harassment and intimidation, including any verbal, written (including via texts or on social media), or physical conduct designed to threaten, intimidate, humiliate, or coerce another participant.
- Discrimination or other actions based on race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, age, socioeconomic status, or belief.
- These behaviors can be related to, but not limited to: race, color, creed, gender (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity, religion (including religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partner status, genetic information, age, national origin or ancestry, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws.
- Inappropriate behavior can take many forms such as slurs; jokes; derogatory statements; foul or obscene language; offensive clothing; leering; stalking; staring; gestures; pictures, drawings or cartoons; violating personal space by impeding or blocking another person’s movement or otherwise physically interfering with them; harassing photography or recordings; unwanted or offensive letters or poems; offensive email or voicemail messages; or social media postings.
- Stalking or unwelcome or surreptitious photography or recording.
- Physical or verbal abuse or intimidation of any participant.
- Sustained or disrespectful disruption of presentations or events.
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including but not limited to sexualized comments or jokes, displaying sexually explicit material, inappropriate touching, groping, or sexual advances.
- Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- ICI officials may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the conference.
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. If asked to stop behaving inappropriately, you should comply immediately.
- The ICI reserves the right to refuse entry to or remove any party from the event at any time. All determinations are at the sole discretion of the ICI conference executive board and the decision of the leading ICI representative will be final.
- Severe breaches of this Conference Code of Conduct may result in disqualification from participating in future events.
- Individuals expelled due to violating this Conference Code of Conduct will not be eligible for a refund or other consolation.
Reporting unacceptable behavior
Anyone who feels unsafe or threatened should immediately contact 911, approach hotel/venue security staff, or contact the appropriate public authorities.
If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior during conference events, please contact Dr. Amir Al-Khafaji, ICI Chair (cell: 309-868-1036 or email: email@example.com).